Saturday, November 5, 2011

My Name Is Vinny

   This is a shorty story I started when I first discovered The Godfather. I was inspired and wanted to create my own alternative universe of the same liking. Its a little more edgier then my other posts, but I think it will appeal to some people. Enjoy.


-Kristopher




   My name is Vinny. Vinny Kastapalo. I’m not your average man. I live in a huge house with my family, I own four cars, have a beautiful wife and kids, but not a dollar to my name. How do I have this amazing life, you ask? Don’t ask! Its none of you friggin’ business! I’m just kidding, kid. Follow my lifestyle and you’ll live like me, or better, who knows?
   It started when I was a kid. I watched my old man get whacked by the man who helped raise me. I ran for my life, not looking back. That’s when Pauly found me. Pauly Reckweacro. I knew I was on the wrong side of town when I ran into him. I looked up at him from the ground and just knew that he was a gangster. But he saw something in me that night. He picked me up and said, “Don’t worry kid. You’re protected now. What happened?” “My uncle. Vinny Kastapalo… killed my father!” “Don’t worry, kid. We’ll take care of him.” And with those words, I knew I was protected for the time being. “Hop in, kid.” He gestured toward his car and I got in the back seat. “What’s your name, kid?” “Vinny. Vinny Kastapalo” “I thought that was your uncle’s name.” I looked away, out the window, ashamed of my name. “It is. I was named after him by my father.” “Its ok, kid. Charley! Make sure little Vinny here gets a nice room and whatever he wants to eat for supper. He is our guest of honor.” It took me a minute to realize that we had arrived at a very large house. Then, with a wink, he walked off, behind closed doors. Being very young, I wondered what was behind those doors. I slowly crept up to the door and peaked through the crack. 
   “Papa, I have a request of you.” “What is it, my son?” “I found this kid and he’s in rough shape. He watched his father get whacked by the man he’s named after. Can I look after him, like a father figure, so he doesn’t go down the wrong path?” “I suppose. But he has to be of use to me when he’s older or he’s gone. Capice?!” “I understand, Papa. Thank you.” He started toward the door and I darted back to my room. I think he saw me, ‘cause when I turned the corner, I distinctly heard a chuckle and “Good night, kid. You’ve got a bright future”

   Now, that was a long time ago. I’m surprised I remembered that much, actually. Anyway, a couple years later, I learned to “influence” people to do stuff for me. Paying off kids to do my homework, bribing the teachers with something my connections could do, you get the picture. I thought I had it made. It wasn’t until I decided to go after the principal that I knew I had more to learn. Much more. “Hey Principal Mancha, can I talk to you in your office? In private?” “Of course, Vinny” We walked into his office and I got comfortable, thinking I had all the power in the room. “What can I do for you, son?” “Well, I’m not doing so well in some of my classes. Do you think you could help me get by?” I then got myself in some deep shit when I put a twenty dollar bill on his desk. “What is this?! Are you trying to bribe me to make you pass?!” He went to his door and checked to make sure no one was around, then he locked the door. “Pauly already pays me to make sure you pass. Once he hears about his, he’s gonna make sure you don’t try to pull this shit again.” I must have went white, because a slight smirk appeared on his face. “Wait! I didn’t know! Please don’t tell Pauly! He’ll friggin’ kill me!” “I’m sorry, kid. He told me to notify him if anyone tried to bribe me that wasn’t him. And you’re not him, last time I checked.” I knew I was in deep shit when I got back to the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment